Bank account linking to services

So the 'preferred' method for systems to allow you to connect your bank account to their service for the last few years has been to select your bank, then ask you to enter your user name and password into their website. This goes against all security precautions as far as I am concerned. Why would I enter my banking user and password anywhere else other than on my bank's website or in my bank's phone app.

No, no no. I am told that only a token is passed and somehow this is safe. However this is usually done by a 3rd party service, so you're actually giving your login to an unknown 3rd party (by all appearances at least). This is so wrong. And why are they involved, anyway? Are they mining all your transactions going forward from that point? This I will never do, regardless of any assurances from anyone.

The long standing method prior to that is to deposit two small amounts adding up to $1.00 into your account then ask you to later enter those amounts on your website (later to be withdrawn again). This method, although silly at heart, is at least workable.

To the designers of the financial system, here's how it should work.

I must initiate the process. I can generate a signed key using a feature on my bank's web site, and enter it at the website of the prospective service, along with my account and routing number (alternately this could be securely encoded in the transaction key I paste in). They initiate a request to my bank. I log into the bank's web site and approve the request.  So there must be a secure method of communication between the banks and the service.

To the companies using the existing method- it's not ok. Please stop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bluetooth - don't get me started

Why I don't like Apple