iOS, USB photo transfers, and Windows

 OK, here's a task that should be really simple with an iPhone but isn't.

I just want to manage photos myself, using file copy / move operations.

Goal: Move photos off an iphone, onto an external hard drive.

Obstacle: iOS won't actually move photos, even if you select a 'move' operation, it only copies them. You have to use some application to do this.

I don't want to use a photo application to manage the photos. This is mainly because I move between different computers, and I have too many photos for them to live in 'the cloud' unless I pay for a huge amount of storage, which I don't want to do. I don't want Windows or whatever application to 'suck in' all my photos to some BS folder (c:\user/abc/Pictures)  simply because I want to manage where they are (on an external RAID drive), and not have them live in some photo store on the PC.

One possibility is that this is Apple's attempt to get you to pay for cloud storage which I don't want. I don't even own an iOS device, I'm just trying to move photos off my wife's phone.

So you are forced to manually delete photos after moving, as a separate operation, which introduces unnecessary complication. What BS. 

Another possibility- did they do this because they were worried dumb users would wonder where their photos went after they moved them off? This 'babying' of users is also BS.

Windows does make use of the USB mass storage class (or some kind of analog of it) but Apple's implementation doesn't obey it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bluetooth - don't get me started

Bank account linking to services

Why I don't like Apple